Saturday Morning Biophysics – Image life!
These series of events are funded by
Program Director: Dr. Andreea Trache, Texas A&M University Health Science Center.
This is a FREE event for registered participants.
Inner beauty comes to life under the microscope as you discover cell structure and tissue architecture in new and exciting ways!
Inviting all girls to a unique science experience at Texas A&M Health Science Center!
Saturday Morning Biophysics: Image Life! is a program that introduces middle and high school girls to current research topics in the physical and life sciences. We particularly encourage teachers to attend. The presentations are designed to be enjoyed by anyone! Designed for general audiences, the lectures are an opportunity to hear Texas A&M professors discuss their work in easy-to-understand, non-technical terms. Activities will include lectures, multimedia presentations, hands-on demonstrations, and computer simulations. Biophysics is an interdisciplinary science that uses methods of the physical sciences for the investigation of biological systems.
You will learn about:
- Biology – the science of life
- Optics – the science of light
- Microscopes – instruments that look at the greatest secrets of the smallest life forms
You will explore:
- Cells – the smallest unit of a living organism
- Tissues – collection of cells that perform a similar function within an organism.
- Organisms – assemblies of molecules that function as a whole and have the properties of life.
Imagine the possibilities!
- Atomic force microscopy – Seeing without light
- Fluorescence microscopy – Visualizing sub-cellular components